Welcome to Fresh van Root newsletter #88!
We considered putting together a newsletter without mentioning AI-related content and tools. But we quickly put that idea down after looking at all the sources we usually browse. The tsunami of AI-related stuff is still going strong.
In this issue, you get the following:
- 6 content tips on AI, blogging, content marketing
- 6 tools/apps across AI content creation, productivity
- You can take a peak into our new office
- And there is a movie about… Tetris!?
Hello to 69 new subscribers. 👋 I’m Rolf from Fresh van Root. What’s Fresh van Root? A digital marketing agency working for tech startups mostly, and a content creation business. This newsletter features content and apps at the intersection of AI, marketing, productivity, tech, content creation, and social media – for curious minds.
🧠 Hand-Picked Content
Business: The Impact Of AI on Jobs (Blog, 5min)
AI dramatically increases productivity, and what does that mean for the job market? Which roles are affected more than others? This blog post points to several studies that try to answer these questions. Some highlights:
- Writers and programmers find 50% increases in productivity with AI.
- 19% of jobs have at least 50% of their tasks exposed to GPTs when considering current model capabilities and anticipated GPT-powered software.
- 100% impact of their work for mathematicians, tax preparation, financial analysts, writers, & web designers.
- Insurance appraisers, financial managers, & search marketing strategists will see less than 15% of their work impacted by AI.
AI: The limits of AI in coding (Blog, 10min)
You can ask ChatGPT to create a website or code a to-do app. For every kind of task that has been solved a gazillion times before, a generative AI model will probably serve you a solution that works. And when it cannot solve something, it might still convincingly tell you how to do it, even if it is wrong. This blog post explains the limits of AI from a software developer’s perspective. But the general findings can be applied to any subject matter. More
Web Publishing: From Homepages To Blogs (Blog, 10min)
In the beginning, there have been home pages. These were individually built, and no content management systems were around. Blogging started with manually updating HTML files. That changed when blogging tools like Movable Type arrived. But it led to a monoculture web. Fast forward 20 years, and we spend most of our time on the same 10 sites all day. This is an exciting read if you have been part of that early cohort of bloggers. More
Content Marketing: Writing A Blog Post With ChatGPT (Blog, 10min)
A realistic look at how marketers can use ChatGPT to work with it on blog posts. More
Content Creation: Storytelling On Your Mobile (Guide)
Resource: How Successful Apps Looked Like (Directory)
Some of the apps we use daily have come a long way. This site shows how Spotify, LinkedIn, AirBnB, and others looked years ago. More
🛠️ Tools & Apps & Services
Personal AI: It Knows What You Did Last Summer
Rewind made headlines last year – it is a tool that records everything you do on your computer and stores it locally (see issue #84). Now, it announced a GPT4-based AI feature that allows you to chat with Rewind and ask about the recorded data.
- When was the last time I emailed Rolf
- What product did I look at on Amazon last week
- How many Zoom calls did I join last week
- and many more
It’s a personal search engine for stuff you worked on. It does only index things that have been in focus on your screen. And not your email archive, for example. More
AI: Automate Your First Slides Draft
Gamma is part of a group of startups working on a new way to create slide decks (featured in issue #77). The cool thing about this app is its block-based editor that allows you to create slide decks like documents. Now it has features to create slide decks using AI based on your prompt automatically. This is interesting for inspiration – content, and design-wise. More
- Tome – featured in issue #86, also got these AI superpowers
Social: A Twitter-like Mastodon Client App
Productivity: Shortcuts For Text Segments
Web Creation: AI Copy For Your Landing Page
If you use Figma to work on website mockups or designs, you can use this tool to let AI fill out your lorem-ipsum placeholders with real copy. More
Design: Photo Editor
Edit your pictures online in this easy-to-use web app. No user account is needed. (Try on a desktop) More
📣 Fresh van Root
Presentation Slides On AI Content Creation
Last week we worked on a presentation for a group of Microsoft employees. We discussed the current state of AI and gave an Outlook into what custom-trained models can do in the future. Most of the content is based on our observations made while putting together this newsletter. More
Upcoming Blog Post: ChatGPT & Content Marketing Tasks
We are working on a blog post that explains how content marketers can use ChatGPT to tackle everyday tasks, like
- Persona Research: Get into the head of your audience
- Blog post ideas/problems to solve: Ask about the top issues/concerns for a specific persona
- Create outlines for blog posts
- Repurpose content: For example, ask ChatGPT to turn a blog post into a video script
- Slice up a blog post into social media posts
- Put content ideas on a calendar for the next 3 months
- and much more
It will be published next week!
Fresh van Root Got A New Office
🏞️ Your Next Wallpaper?
🔗 One More Link
When was the last time you played Tetris? You can play it online on Tetris com. More
And you know what – there is a Tetris movie. Now up on Apple TV. We will wait for the reviews of that one first. More